We thank you for joining us at our super-special-shortened-for-lunchtime parent presentation at Multicare! Below you will find our slides, along with a compilation of resources and articles that parents might find helpful and informative:
- A Parent's Guide to Facebook, from the fine folks at Connect Safely
- Pew Internet and American Life Project - see the latest research here, including:
- Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year-Olds - Kaiser Family Foundation study
- Common Sense Media - "the nation's leading independent non-profit advocating for kids," read about this organization here
- Controlling Your Digital Identity is as Easy as 1-2-3 - Lisa Nielsen, the Innovative Educator
- Check your digital footprint: Spezify, Google, Personas
- Did You Know? v.5 - Watch this video to see how the world is changing in this technological landscape. This version is specific to the state of Iowa, but the first half applies to all!
- Digital Citizenship - explore the 9 elements here
- The Unintended Consequences of Cyberbullying Rhetoric - danah boyd and Alice Marwick
- The Drama! Teen Conflict, Gossip, and Bullying in Networked Publics - boyd and Marwick research paper
- Exaggerating Bullying Could Increase Bullying - Larry Magid on the importance of accurate statistics
- Kids Deserve the Truth About Cyberbullying - Anne Collier
- Good and Bad Bullying PSAs - Rosalind Wiseman
- Great links to research from danah boyd and the Born This Way Foundation - how to combat bullying
- Children and Social Media - a great list of resources! And Mind/Shift itself is fabulous.
- Social Networks for Kids - a comprehensive list from Common Sense Media, organized by age group!
We will continue to add more resources via Facebook and Twitter. Please follow us!